Thursday, December 10, 2009

Master Degree (math) at U of Waterloo, Canada?

I'm thinking of pursuing my master's (mathematics) in waterloo. Right now, my main interest is in the field of OR (Oper. Research). I want to know:



1) If this is a good idea or if I should go to another uni



2) What it's like there - how hard the course is, studying environment, etc.



3) Anything and everything there is to know about this uni



I'm not Canadian, I come from Asia.



I've already done my Bachelor's.



I've gone to the website so please don't just give me the link.



Thanx.



Master Degree (math) at U of Waterloo, Canada?opera singer



Hi,



I'm starting my Masters at Waterloo in September in the Combinatorics %26amp; Optimization department (of which OR is part of) and I also did my undergraduate here in C%26amp;O. I will try my best to answer your questions.



1) OR is one of our better regarded programs at the undergraduate and graduate level. Many of my friends took courses in the undergrad in the OR field and were very pleased with them. I would highly recommend Waterloo to anyone planning on studying OR.



2) At the 4th year undergrad level I have taken many of the courses that were for both graduates and undergraduates. They were all challenging, but at the same time they were doable and approachable if you were willing to put in the effort. Depending on the class and instructor different amounts of colaboration are allowed. Some professors will encourage you to talk about solutions with classmates, since in the real world people often solve problems together. Some will deny any collaboration whatsoever.



3) I'm not sure what else you would want to know about the university. Graduate students have a health and dental plan. There is an on-campus bar called the grad house where graduate students often go. I guess one important thing is that as far as I know they are done their acceptance for the fall, so you will not be able to get in until January at the earliest.



Best of luck!



Master Degree (math) at U of Waterloo, Canada?amc theater opera theater



great idea at great University

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ariel